Angler’s Covey has had a long and storied history. Much of who we are today comes from our earliest beginnings.
The Early Years
It all began back in 1980 when Kent Brekke, at the age of 25, opened the doors of Angler’s Covey. This was no small achievement.
In preparation for opening this new fly shop, he worked four years at The Flyfisher Fly Shop in Denver. Kent personally tied every fly that was stocked; he hunted, prepared, and packaged most of the fly tying materials in the shop which was a renovated Victorian house at 917 W Colorado Ave. in Colorado Springs.
To save money, he lived upstairs and hoped and prayed that customers would come. They did. With continued hard work, quality products, and good customer service, Kent built a business ... and a passion. Today, Kent owns and operates Alaska Angling and when he’s not on the water he’s hunting birds in Kansas or off on some other adventure. The name, Angler’s Covey, came from the combination of Kent’s two passions: fly fishing and bird hunting.
In the early 1990s, we (David and Becky Leinweber) moved to Colorado Springs and began dreaming and planning to open our own fly fishing shop. With our business plan prepared, and after more than a decade of working in the outdoor retail industry, David was offered the opportunity, instead, to manage Angler’s Covey with the chance of potential ownership in the future. He joined the Covey team in 1996 and in 1999 we both became the owners. The Covey team grew, as did the business, still keeping the focus on providing quality products and excellent customer service. Before we knew it, though, it was time for a big change.
Location, location, location.
For 22 years Angler’s Covey had been located in a very special and quaint Victorian home. It served us well with its charm, but with that quaint charm came limited visibility, limited space, and very limited parking. That special time had come to an end. An opportunity presented itself and we grabbed it -- moving to a new location on Highway 24 that was easier to find and more convenient for anglers on their way to their favorite fishing spot. When all was said and done, Angler’s Covey grew from a 2,500 square foot home to a 6,500 square foot adventure, including two casting ponds just outside our backdoor enabling people to cast and compare rods before buying.
When you think of Angler’s Covey, we hope that our values are seen in every aspect of our business.
- We SHARE our expertise. As a team, we continually evaluate all that we do to maintain excellence at every level - from the brands and product mix we carry to the guided trip experience. We are on the water regularly and openly share tips and information. Angler's Covey treats our customers with respect, whether new to the sport or an experienced angler.
- We do the RIGHT THING. Integrity, honesty, and respect are central to the Covey Team and are demonstrated by what we say and what we do. We work hard to build trust and keep commitments to one another, our vendor, our customers, and our community.
- We work as a FAMILY. We are a family-owned business and consider our Covey Team family as well. Our culture encourages mutual support for each other as we work and play.
- We have FUN. We eat, sleep, and breathe fly fishing. Our positivity and enthusiasm are contagious, and we love sharing our passion with others. Life's too short not to enjoy it!
- We go the EXTRA Mile. Our dedicated team takes initiative to go above and beyond expectations. We are tenacious in our pursuit of excellence.
- We GIVE Back. We believe that to whom much has been given, much is required. Our culture of responsibility begins with the passion and ethics of our team, who give back to the community as well as the resources we treasure.
- We BLAZE the Trail. We are constantly challenging the status quo. Our innovative team seeks to provide unique ways to wow our customers and expand their angling experience.