Angler’s Covey has had a long and storied history. Much of who we are today comes from our earliest beginnings.
The Early Years
It all began back in 1980 when Kent Brekke, at the age of 25, opened the doors of Angler’s Covey. This was no small achievement.
In preparation for opening this new fly shop, he worked four years at The Flyfisher Fly Shop in Denver. Kent personally tied every fly that was stocked; he hunted, prepared, and packaged most of the fly tying materials in the shop which was a renovated Victorian house at 917 W Colorado Ave. in Colorado Springs.
To save money, he lived upstairs and hoped and prayed that customers would come. They did. With continued hard work, quality products, and good customer service, Kent built a business ... and a passion. Today, Kent owns and operates Alaska Angling and when he’s not on the water he’s hunting birds in Kansas or off on some other adventure. The name, Angler’s Covey, came from the combination of Kent’s two passions: fly fishing and bird hunting.
In the early 1990s, we (David and Becky Leinweber) moved to Colorado Springs and began dreaming and planning to open our own fly fishing shop. With our business plan prepared, and after more than a decade of working in the outdoor retail industry, David was offered the opportunity, instead, to manage Angler’s Covey with the chance of potential ownership in the future. He joined the Covey team in 1996 and in 1999 we both became the owners. The Covey team grew, as did the business, still keeping the focus on providing quality products and excellent customer service. Before we knew it, though, it was time for a big change.
Location, location, location.
For 22 years Angler’s Covey had been located in a very special and quaint Victorian home. It served us well with its charm, but with that quaint charm came limited visibility, limited space, and very limited parking. That special time had come to an end. An opportunity presented itself and we grabbed it -- moving to a new location on Highway 24 that was easier to find and more convenient for anglers on their way to their favorite fishing spot. When all was said and done, Angler’s Covey grew from a 2,500 square foot home to a 6,500 square foot adventure, including two casting ponds just outside our backdoor enabling people to cast and compare rods before buying.
When you think of Angler’s Covey, we hope that our values are seen in every aspect of our business.
- Integrity – We value your trust and work very hard to earn it and keep it. We want to serve you; not sell you. This means that the best product for you is the one that best fits your needs, not the most expensive one.
- Transparency – We want you to love the adventure of fly fishing! We openly share our techniques, tips, and even favorite locations with our customers.
- Respect – We treat our customers with respect. It doesn’t matter if you’re just beginning the sport or have been fly fishing for years. We will answer your questions and assist you in getting the most out of your adventure.
- Excellence – We carry quality products from reputable companies because that’s what you deserve. We provide learning opportunities for every level and evaluate the effectiveness of our classes and workshops on an on-going basis. We have a quality staff that is interested in serving you with excellence.
- Having Fun – We want our shop and learning experiences to be fun for you as well as our team! Isn’t that why we got into this sport in the first place? Life’s too short not to enjoy it.
- Responsibility – We believe that to whom much has been given, much is required. That’s why we give back through our Project Healing Waters efforts to help wounded warriors. It’s also why we participate in stream restoration and other conservation projects with Colorado Trout Unlimited and Pikes Peak Chapter of Trout Unlimited. We also founded and currently lead Pikes Peak Outdoor Recreation Alliance.