The extended nice weather has stretched out certain sections of the middle fork. That being said, the action is fairly slow. These sections will begin freezing soon. Covering ground and tossing dries or streamers has been effective. Pretty easy menu up there right now. Small BWO or midge dries, or streamers. The window for fishing this stretch is rapidly closing. Pick a nice day and go enjoy some solitude.
Mercury midge, Pale larva, Money midge, red larva in sizes 20-24
Griffiths gnat, Matts midge, mole fly (20-24)
Slump busters in white or natural, baby gongas, and scullpzilla's in lighter colors.
About Alma SWA
Middle Fork of the South Platte River finds its headwaters above Hoosier Pass. Water is diverted from the Breakenridge area and passed through a tunnel under Hoosier Pass into Montgomery Reservoir. This augments the flow particularly in the early summer.
Tomahawk is the middle fork of the South Platte River. This stretch of the river is a great place to find solitude from the crowds. Summer and fall are a great time of the year to throw big hoppers to eager brown trout. In the summer, bring insect repellent because the mosquitos can get bad. In the fall, bring heavy leaders because large browns come out of their typical hiding spaces and up river from Spinney to spawn.
This is an area we specialize and are permitted to guide in, so give us a shot if you have any question or if you interested in allowing one of our Orvis Endorsed Guides show you how best to conquer Middle Fork of the South Platte.
Interested in Booking a Trip?
Directions to Alma - 88.9 miles - 1 Hour 42 Minutes
- From Angler's Covey head west on US 24 W/Cimarron St, go 63.2 miles
- Turn right at CO-9 N towards Fairplay, go 16.1 miles
- Turn right at US-285 N, go 1.0 mile
- Turn left at CO-9 N/ Main Street, Fairplay and through Alma, 8.1 miles
- Watch your speed, this area is famous for speed tickets.
- Turn left at Co Rd 4, Park along stream in desinated areas.
Directions to Tomahawk - 70.5 miles - 1 Hour 19 Minutes
- Head West on US-24, go 63.2 miles
- Turn right on Co-9, go 7.2 miles